Thursday, January 22, 2009

Winding things down in Italy.....our visit to Milan

I screwed the picture order up, but here is the world's largest Nutella jar...Roberta is quite the fan, I took this for Ursi.
My death warmed over look, after about five weeks of sickness, I'm still not convinced that I did not have pneumonia, however finally, I've recovered. Still have a little cough though. Last week, we, meaning Sandro, Antonella, Vanda and I went to Milan in the evening to meet Roberta and Marco. We had dinner in their neighborhood, which I have to say was refreshingly multi-ethnic and very big city looking. Unfortunately, as digital cameras can do, my battery failed after only three pictures inside their very chic loft apartment. But I'll put up the three I got.
Remember the Christmas present cake platter? Well, there it is, in its rightful place.
I love the red refridgerator...............keeps everything so cool

I took this picture when I first moved to Alme, the Zamboni house is the ONLY one in this neighborhood that looks like this, it was designed by their brother Mario and built 30 years ago. Very nice three family abode. Each apartment is different, has a different feel and layout. I'm thinking we in the US need more family living like this in the future. However it probably does have it's drawbacks which I may not even be aware of, like lack of privacy, but there is a lot of sharing too.
Although I did not take pictures we had our OBAMA DAY on Tuesday, we started watching the TV at about 4pm and his speech was at 6pm. Sandro was equipped with earphones that gave an Italian translation so he could follow the speech. We planned our dinner to be after that, Antonella made vegetable soup, Sandro make pizza and I made apple crisp, to have something "American." And we had a lively political discussion afterwards, lots of Italian spoken all at once.

Tomorrow, Friday, David and Claudia will drive up from San Ginesio to spend the weekend saying good bye to me, and they will bring whatever stuff I left there. We've already decided to cook an Indian dinner for Sandro, Antonella, Vanda and Filippo. It will be fun to do this together.
A way for me to say thank you to the Zambonis for all they have fed me in the past six weeks.

2 comments:

merimee said...

Wow, I love the snazz and chic apartment--what a notion--a big amily having their own apartment bldg. I suspect it will take armaggedeon to get Americans into that much loving and sharing and getting along. I like it though--already thinking how our house could have more apartments--ah, but zoning will save my ass there. Down the hill is good. Tony ten blocks one way, Amos about twenty the other. The unemployment scene and angst is still high . . . Obama love infuses us with hope as we enter day three. His actions are so strong and leaderly already. Strong on ethics, anti-torture, transparency, and doing our parts. xoxo Happy travels home (I love the cake platter and quickie joke)

Ursula said...

wow, gretchen, you have done so much since our visit in october! i can't believe how quickly time goes by - i'll be seeing you in portland next week! ah! say hi to david and claudia for me when you see them, and have a good last week in italy!