Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Day at Vanda's table

Ok, this will take a little explaining. Roberta is in the background, and her gift to her boyfriend Marco was this CAKE platter............not your USUAL cake platter, rather one that will fit into their Milano loft which I have HEARD is decorated in a very particular CONTEMPORARY STYLE. At the table, when Marco was showing this to Vanda, Sandro said: "Now, in my day young men did not ask for cake platters..........they asked for a quickie..."
Sandro, the cook par excellence.........fabulous meal, everything was delicious, see previous post
OK, sometimes we get a little tired............
Like sisters, Roberta and Hiwot
Marco's father Mario, who was very charming and exceptionally kind and warm to me, his "girlfriend" Bianca who sat next to me because she has a good command of English. Before they arrived Antonella buzzed me on the intercom and said they wanted to pull a prank on her. They told Bianca that I am American but can only speak Japanese....and I was even wearing my Japanese padded vest. So when I went into Vanda's apartment to greet them, everyone was quite expectant and I managed to pull off: hagimimashi te, yoroshiku onegaishimasu, watashi no namae wa Gretchen desu, and Bianca got a really funny look on her face, like oh my god, this is really happening! But then everyone started cracking up at this performance...and then she realized we were just pulling her leg.

No comments: